Drama+Theatre+Verse+Tutor

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

from sc 16

Ar

Look, I know I’m less than human: an earwig –

Though that’s a slander on an honest insect.

I crept aboard the company for shelter

On dry land. Then whoosh! My roof’s upturned,

Re-set by strong men, a boat upon the water.

I lodge in Ling’s shell-like: overhearing

Words whispered to others as the vessel rocks.

Forficula auricularia, that’s me.

Your servant, your spy.

A

Hah! Ha!

H

You creepy crawly.

Ar

What’s a bug to do?

If I climb off, kerplish! I’m not brave.

Sweet oarsmen, occupied with sending on

Your craft, please listen to your coxwain’s orders.

Don’t seize that hollow time between the strokes

To pluck me up – and into the drink that drowns.

Will he notice me? Like me? Hate me?

My life depends upon these straining men

Ignoring me.

A

Never in your life, my sweet.

Ar

Walk along the coxwain’s line? I prefer

Not to steer things for others. He’d turn

And with the rudder washing through the stream

I’d stumble, an offering to brother bream.

Stick to the crew, don’t move, just wait:

Row back to your boathouse and I’ll escape that fate.

H

Better be a bee.

A

Bees sting and die.

Ar

Tonight, I earwig.

A

By which you mean?

Ar

William, I’m your host.

A

What better man

To oversee my trial by nation’s telly?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home